Connects with IC, L&N, CNO&TP and SOUTHERN. Freight only
Eastern Division-165.8 miles from Nashville to Harriman, TN.
Piggyback Ramps at Ashland City, Cookville, Crossville, Clarksville, Lebanon, Nashville, Old Hickory and Rockwood, TN.
Western Division-85 miles from Nashville TN to Hopkinsville KY.
Carthage Branch-7.2 Miles from Carthage Junction to Carthage, TN.
Crawford Branch-21 Miles from Monterey to Wilder, Tn.
Old Hickory Branch-8 miles from Stone River to Old Hickory, TN.
In 1968 the TC was sold to the following roads:
The Southern bought the track from Harriman, TN to Crossville, TN.(30 miles)
The Illinois Central bought the track from Nashville, Tn to Hopkinsville, KY.(85 miles)
The Louisville & Nashville bought the tack from Crossville, TN to Nashville, TN.(130 miles)
Number Mf'gr Model Date Notes 50 Alco HH-600 Nov-39 Note 1 51 Alco S-1 Nov-41 Note 1 75 Baldwin DRS-4-4-1000 Jul-48 Note 2 76 Baldwin DRS-4-4-1000 Jul-48 Note 2 77 Baldwin DRS-4-4-1000 Aug-48 Note 2 248 Alco RS-3 1966 Note 5 249 Alco RS-3 1966 Note 5 250 Alco RS-3 1966 Note 5 251 Alco RS-3 Oct-50 Note 6 252 Alco RS-3 Oct-50 Note 7 253 Alco RS-3 Oct-50 Note 6 254 Alco RS-3 Oct-50 Note 7 255 Alco RS-3 Feb-52 Note 7 256 Alco RS-3 Feb-52 Note 6 257 Alco RS-3 Feb-52 Note 6 258 Alco RS-3 Feb-52 Note 6 259 Alco RS-3 Apr-56 Note 7 260 Alco RS-3 Apr-56 Note 7 301 Alco RS-36 Aug-62 Note 8 302 Alco RS-36 Aug-62 Note 8 303 Alco RS-36 Feb-63 Note 8 304 Alco RS-36 Apr-63 Note 8 305 Alco RS-36 Aug-63 Note 8 400 Alco C-420 Jan-66 Note 8 401 Alco C-420 Feb-66 Note 8 801 Alco FA-1 Mar-49 Note 3 802 Alco FA-1 Mar-49 Note 4 803 Alco FA-1 Mar-49 Note 4 804 Alco FA-1 Mar-49 Note 3 805 Alco FA-1 Mar-49 Note 4 801b Alco FB-1 Mar-49 Note 4
1. Delivered in black w/white lettering, stationed around Nashville, never repainted.
2. Delivered in a maroon/yellow scheme with silver cab roof & hood tops, cab roof and hood top repainted maroon when repainted.
3. Delivered in maroon/yellow scheme, air-cooled turbo, dynamic brakes, single blat horns. Converted to water-cooled turbos and 5 chime horns around 1952. Repainted black/white scheme till retired in 1965.
4. Delivered in maroon/yellow scheme, air-cooled turbo, dynamic brakes, single blat horns. Converted to water-cooled turbos and 5 chime horns around 1952. Remained in maroon/yellow scheme till traded in 1963.
5. Acquired from Reading. #249 painted light gray/blue scheme. #248 & #250 remained in dark green scheme. Water cooled turbo, 5 chime horns, 3 forward, 2 rear.
6. Delivered in maroon/yellow scheme, water cooled turbo, 5 chime horns, all forward. Equipped with steam generators. Repainted black/white
7. Delivered in maroon/yellow scheme, water-cooled turbo, 5 chime horns, all forward. Remained maroon/yellow till road was sold in 1968.
8. Delivered in black/white scheme, 5 chime horns, 3 forward, 2 rear.
The railroad interchanged with Southern, Illinois Central and L&N. When the road finally gave up the assets were split among these three railroads in 1968. The Southern was removing the Alco units from its roster so most the remaining units went to IC and L&N. For more details refer to Diesel Era J/F 94.
CABOOSE ROSTER#9850 Wood, Class ?, built ?
RS3/FA HORNS03/23/01 tc list I remember that this has been discussed before, but I cannot find it archived. What horns were used on the RS3's and FA1's. I have been told that they were Nathan5 but someone else told me that they were Leslie. Carey Floyd 03/24/01 From all the pictures I have seen, they had Nathan M5 Airchimes. If you look at them close you notice that a lot were Nathan M5 Airchimes (all bells forward) and some were Nathan M5R24 Airchimes (that's the 2 and the 4 bell reversed) Brent Lee
PAINT MIXES by hosamTENNESSEE CENTRAL maroon & yellow Maroon-Caboose red #414128 add 1/4 cap of reefer yellow #414122 HOLD ON THIS Yellow-mix half and half Reefer yellow #414122 & Reefer white #414113 decals-none for the FA's, use MS #87-94-5 red for letters and numbers TENNESSEE CENTRAL Black & white Black-Engine black #414110 White-Reefer white #414113 decals-use MS #87-94-2 RR Roman for letters #87-94-1 for numbers All color mixes are based on PollyScale Acrylics paint numbers.
All bottle sizes are 1 fluid ounce size.
Capful refers to the cap on the bottle.
HK=Herald King decals for reference only these are no longer available.
C=Custom made on Alps Printer
© S.A. McCall