BRIEF HISTORY
THE HISTORY OF ELECTROMOTIVE DIVISION OF GENERAL MOTORS BEGINS IN 1930 WITH THE PURCHASE OF THE WINTON DIESEL ENGINE COMPANY AND ELECTROMOTIVE COMPANY. PRIOR TO THIS TIME THE ELECTROMOTIVE HAD BEEN BUILDING RAILCARS POWERED BY WINTON GASOLINE ENGINES FROM ABOUT 1924, PRODUCTION TOTALED OVER 100 SUCH UNITS. EMD BEGAN BY PRODUCING CUSTOM BUILT DIESEL POWERED ""STREAMLINERS"" FOR VARIOUS RAILROADS AND BY THE END OF THE 1930'S HAD INTRODUCED THE NOW STANDARDIZED E,F AND S UNITS. WORLD WAR TWO SAW A FREEZE ON NEW TYPE DEVELOPMENT SO GM PRODUCED THE E AND F ROAD TYPE UNITS, ALCO AND BALDWIN WERE TO PRODUCE THE YARD SWITCHERS. AFTER THE WAR GM PRODUCED THE GP & SD SERIES WHICH ARE STILL BEING BUILT TODAY.

More EMD Information
S.A. McCall