BRIEF HISTORY

THE BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVE WORKS HAS PRODUCED STEAM LOCOMOTIVES SINCE THE 1830'S,AND IN 1925 BUILT ITS FIRST DIESEL. WESTINGHOUSE ELECTRIC AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY SUPPLIED THE ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND BALDWIN BUILT THE CAR BODIES AND MECHANICAL PARTS. THE FIRST STANDARD DIESEL SWITCHERS WERE BUILT IN 1939 AND CONTINUED THROUGH THE WAR YEARS WHEN IN 1947 THE FIRST ROAD DIESELS WERE BUILT. BALDWIN MERGED WITH THE LIMA-HAMILTON CORPORATION IN 1950 IN A MOVE TO DIVERSIFY THEIR OPERATIONS. IN 1953 WESTINGHOUSE STOPPED BUILDING ELECTRICAL TRACTION EQUIPMENT, SO BALDWIN BOUGHT ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT" FROM GENERAL ELECTRIC, UNTIL STOPPING LOCOMOTIVE PRODUCTION IN 1956.

More BLW information
S.A. McCall