AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE COMPANY

A BRIEF HISTORY-DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES ALCO BEGAN BUILDING DIESEL ELECTRICS AS A JOINT VENTURE BETWEEN GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY,INGERSOLL-RAND AND THE ALCO. THESE UNITS WERE POWERED BY A SINGLE INGERSOLL-RAND 10" x 12", 6 CYL., 300HP DIESEL, USING GE ELECTRICAL COMPONNENTS AND BUILT BY ALCO. THIS ENGINE HAS BEEN CALLED THE FIRST COMMERCIALLY SUCCESSFUL DIESEL ELECTRIC IN THE UNITED STATES. THIS WAS SOLD TO THE CENTRAL OF NEW JERSEY RAILROAD IN 1925. THE 100 TON BOXCABS WERE PRODUCED FROM 1925 THRU 1928 BY JOINT VENTURE OF GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, INGERSOLL-RAND AND THE AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE COMPANY. THESE UNITS WERE POWERED BY TWO INGERSOLL-RAND 10" x 12", 6 CYL. 300 HP DIESEL ENGINES. IN 1928 THE NEW YORK CENTRAL AND THE AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE COMPANY BEGAN BUILDING WHAT WAS TO BECOME SEVEN EXPERIMENTAL LOCOMOTIVES. THE FIRST OF THESE UNITS WAS A 900 HP PASSENGER UNIT WITH A 2-D-2 WHEEL ARRANGEMENT. THE PASSENGER UNITS WERE POWERED BY A SINGLE MCINTOSH & SEYMOUR 14"X18" 16 CYLINDER 900 HP DIESEL. THE THREE POWER SWITCHERS WERE POWERED BY AN INGERSOLL-RAND 10"X12", 6 CYL., 300 HP DIESEL. THE FREIGHT UNITS WERE POWERED BY AN INGERSOLL-RAND 14" x 16" 6 CYLINDER 750 HP DIESEL. IN 1931 A SINGLE 60 TON UNIT WAS BUILT FOR THE JAY STREET CONNECTING RAILROAD, THE # 300 A 300 HP B-B, IT WAS VERY SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL 60 TON UNITS. THIS UNIT WAS POWERED BY A MCINTOSH-SEYMOUR 9.5"X10.5" 300 HP 6 CYLINDER DIESEL. THE SUCCESS OF THE NYC #1525 TRI-POWER LOCOMOTIVE RESULTED IN AN ADDITIONAL ORDER FOR 42 MORE. 1935-37 THE ONLY STREAMLINER ALCO BUILT WAS FOR THE REBEL OPERATED BY THE GULF MOBILE & NORTHERN, NUMBERED 352, 353 & 354. 1937 THE HIGH HOOD SWITCHERS WERE HIGHER HP (600-1000) MODELS UTILIZING THE 531 ENGINES WHICH GAVE RISE TO THE NAME HIGH HOOD. 1939 PASSENGER UNIT PRODUCTION STARTED WITH THE DL-103B, CONTINUED WITH THE DL-105, DL-107 ENDING WITH THE DL-109 & 110. 1940 THE S-1 WAS INTRODUCED UTILIZING THE SAME BASIC COMPONENTS AS THE HH-660. THESE UNITS HAD A LOWER HOOD THAN ITS PREDECESSORS. THE S-1 HAD BLUNT TYPE TRUCKS WHILE THE SIMILAR S-3 INTRODUCED IN 1950 HAD AAR TYPE TRUCKS. THE S-2 HAD BLUNT TYPE TRUCKS AND LOW HOOD BUT WITH 1000 HP. THE S-4 WAS SIMILAR EXCEPT FOR THE AAR TYPE TRUCKS. THE S-1 AND S-3 USED THE 660 HP VERSION OF THE 539 TYPE ENGINE WHILE THE S-2 AND S-4 USED THE 1000 HP TURBOCHARGED 539 TYPE ENGINE. 1941-1946 THE 1000 HP ROAD SWITCHER RS-1 WAS INTRODUCED BY ALCO IN 1941, THE FIRST THIRTEEN WERE REQUISITIONED BY THE U.S. ARMY DUE TO WW 2. A LARGE GROUP WAS BUILT ON C-C TRUCKS FOR USE BY THE MILITARY. MANY MODELS WERE EXPORTED TO FOREIGN NATIONS DURING WORLD WAR 2. THE ENTIRE 1941 PRODUCTION OF RS-1 LOCOMOTIVES WERE COMMANDEERED BY THE U.S. ARMY FOR USE IN RUSSIA AND BY OUR OWN FORCES. 1944 241 ENGINE WAS USED IN THREE TEST UNITS NOW KNOWN AS THE BLACK MARIA NO MODEL NUMBER WAS ASSIGNED, ROAD NUMBERS 1500A, 1500B & 1500C WERE ASSIGNED BY ALCO. THESE UNITS WERE TRIED OUT ON SEVERAL NORTHEASTERN RAILROADS AND WERE SCRAPPED IN 1947. 1946 THERE WERE TWO CAB MODELS DESIGNATED AS FREIGHT ONLY, THE FA-1 AND ITíS BOOSTER THE FB-1 AND THE FA-2 AND ITíS BOOSTER THE FB-2. THE FA-1/FB-1 CAN BE DISTINGUISHED FROM THE FA-2/FB-2 BY THE GRILLE WORK WHICH IS AT THE END ON THE FA-1/FB-1 AND IS SEVERAL FEET FROM THE END ON THE FA-2/FB-2. INTERNAL CHANGES CAUSED BY ADDING SPACE FOR A STEAM GENERATOR IN THE FA-2/FB-2 MOVED THE GRILLE WORK FORWARD THE PASSENGER VERSION OF THE FA, KNOWN AS THE FPA, WAS SIMILAR WITH THE ADDITION OF A STEAM GENERATOR. THE FPA-2/FPB-2 WAS PRODUCED FOR BOTH DOMESTIC AND FOREIGN USE, THE FPA-4/FPB-4 WAS BUILT FOR CANADIAN USE ONLY. THE PA WAS DESIGNED TO PRODUCE A MILLION MILES BETWEEN OVERHAULS FROM ONLY ONE ENGINE OF 2000 HP THE RS-2 WITH 1500 HP WAS INTRODUCED IN 1946 UTILIZING THE MECHANICAL COMPONNENTS OF THE FA-1. A NEW BODY INTRODUCED AT THE SAME TIME WAS MORE ROUNDED THAN ITS PREDECESSOR. THE RSC-2 WAS THE SIX AXLE VERSION OF THE RS-2 FOR USE ON LIGHT RAIL. 1950 THE RS-3 WAS INTRODUCED AN UPGRADED ENGINE OF 1600 HP AND PRODUCED THRU 1956. THE RSC-3 WAS THE SIX AXLE VERSION OF THE RS-3 FOR USE ON LIGHT RAIL. 1951 THE RSD-4 & RSD-5 WAS A C-C VERSION OF THE RS-2 & RS-3 UTILIZING SIX MOTORS INSTEAD OF FOUR. THE RSD-5 UTILIZED A LARGER GENERATOR THAN THE RSD-4. 1954 THE RS-10 WAS PRODUCED ONLY IN CANADA AND WAS BASICALLY AN RS-3 IN A NEW AND HIGHER CARBODY SIMILAR TO THE RS-11. 1956 THE AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE COMPANY OFFICIALLY BECAME ALCO PRODUCTS. THE RSD-7 WAS INTRODUCED AS A 2250 HP MODEL UTILIZING THE 244 ENGINE WHICH WAS LATER UPRATED TO 2400 HP. THE RS-11 MARKED THE INTRODUCTION OF THE 251 ENGINE IN A B-B ROAD SWITCHER WITH A HIGH LONG HOOD. THE RSD-12 WAS A 1800 HP 251 ENGINE POWERED C-C UNIT. THE RSD-15 WAS A 2400 HP 251 ENGINE POWERED C-C UNIT. THE RS-18 IS THE CANADIAN VERSION OF THE RS-11/RS-36 DESIGN AND LOOKS LIKE THE RS-10. 1957 THE RSD-17 WAS A CANADIAN ONLY RSD-15M BUILT BY MONTREAL LOCOMOTIVE WORKS AS THE CANADIAN PACIFIC 7007, WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE PGE AS 624 THEN BECAME CANADIAN NATIONAL 3899 THEN RETURNED TO THE CANADIAN PACIFIC AS 8921. 1959 THE RS-23 IS A ROADSWITCHER VERSION OF THE S-13 SWITCHER AND IS A CANADIAN MODEL. THE RSC-24 WAS BUILT BY THE MONTREAL LOCOMOTIVE WORKS USING SURPLUS 244 ENGINES REMOVED FROM FPA-4S. THE FOUR ENGINES REMOVED WERE DERATED FROM 1600 HP TO 1400 HP DUE TO THE LIGHT WEIGHT OF THE PROPOSED LOCOMOTIVES. THE LIGHT WEIGHT WAS A REQUIREMENT FOR RUNNING ON RAIL AS LIGHT AS 55 LBS. WHEN THE RSC-24íS WERE RETIRED IN 1976 THE TRUCKS WERE INSTALLED UNDER THE 1750 SERIES RS-18íS. 1961 THE RS-32 WAS A LOW NOSE 2000 HP VERSION OF THE RS-11 B-B UNIT. 1962 THE RS-36 WAS AN 1800 HP VERSION OF THE RS-32. THEY WERE PRODUCED IN BOTH HIGH NOSE AND LOW NOSE TYPES. 1963 THE FIRST CENTURY UNIT WAS THE C-420 WITH 2000 HP IN A B-B UNIT, WHICH UTILIZED THE SEALED CARBODY AND WAS DESIGNED TO COMPETE WITH THE EMD GP-30 AND THE GE U-25B. BOTH HI-NOSE AND LO-NOSE VERSIONS WERE BUILT. THE C-424 WAS A 2400 HP UNIT SIMILAR TO THE C-420 BUT DESIGNED WITHOUT A SPACE FOR A STEAM GENERATOR RESULTING IN A SHORTER PLATFORM. THE C-628 IS SIMILAR TO THE RSD-15 C-C UNIT WITH THE CAB MOVED FORWARD TO ALLOW THE STEAM GENERATOR TO BE PLACED BEHIND THE CAB. 1964 THE C-425 WAS THE 2500 HP VERSION OF THE C-424 DUE TO HAVING A LARGER GENERATOR. THE DH-643 WAS A 4300 HP UNIT UTILIZING A HYDRAULIC TRANSMISSION. THE C-855 AND C-855B WERE BUILT ONLY FOR THE UNION PACIFIC. 1965 THE C-630 WAS SIMILAR TO THE C-628 BUT HAD AN A.C. ALTERNATOR AND WAS RATED 3000HP. 1966 THE C-415 UTILIZED THE CARBODY FILTERS AND A CENTER CAB FOR EQUAL COLLISION PROTECTION IN EITHER DIRECTION. THE C-430 INTRODUCED THE 3000 HP B-B UNIT INTO ALCOíS LINE TO COMPETE WITH THE EMD GP-35 AND THE GE U28B. 1967 ALCO PRODUCTS WAS ACQUIRED BY STUDEBAKER-WORTHINGTON. THE C-636 IS A 3600 HP VERSION OF THE C-630. 1969 ALCO LEAVES THE U.S. MARKET. MONTREAL LOCOMOTIVE WORKS CONTINUES WORLDWIDE PRODUCTION. THE M-630 AND M-636 WERE CANADIAN BUILT VERSIONS OF THE C630 AND C636. 1971 THE M-640 IS A CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT OF THE M-630 & M-636.

More Alco Information
© S.A. McCall